Reply to post: Plastics and CO2

Let's make laptops from radium. How's that for planned obsolescence?

TrumpSlurp the Troll

Plastics and CO2

I've read through and I'm not sure I've found any reality so far.

As far as I can find out online, plastics break down eventually into very small particles (down to nano particles) and migrate into the soil and water courses and then the oceans. They can then stay there, including in all stages of the food chain, for millennia. This may explain why your cod and chips tastes a little plasticy.

CO2 tends to get removed from the atmosphere in 40-50 years which is used to justify burning forests as "renewable energy".

In this thread I have seen the argument that "something will evolve to eat the plastic" (it did have a caveat) but this does smack of "magical thinking" much like the idea that the hard border problem in Ireland can be solved by "technology" or the various justifications for backdoors to encryption.

My current uninformed view is that given the choice I would burn all the plastic and keep the problem for our generation to solve by reducing the immediate production of plastic.

I wouldn't ban burning of plastic then let the planet spend millennia trying to deal with ubiquitous micro-plastic pollution. Otherwise known as kicking the (plastic) can down the road.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon