Reply to post: Re: so easy to get in

Never let something so flimsy as a locked door to the computer room stand in the way of an auditor on the warpath

usbac Silver badge

Re: so easy to get in

This reminds me of a time back in my teenage days. My best friend Peter's dad owned a used car lot. His dad had given Peter a newer/nicer car. The problem was that Peter had installed a bunch of high end stereo equipment in his old car.

We were out at the movies until late, and Peter had a sudden thought "what if my dad sells my old car off before I get the stereo equipment out?" His old car was parked down at the car lot. His dad was kind of an ass; the type that would think "this car will sell for a lot of money with all of the nice stereo equipment in it". He was a used car salesman after all.

So, we decide we go and get the equipment out before his dad sells the car. We grab flashlights (torches) and toolboxes and head for the car lot. It was about 1:00am by this time. The lot was brightly lit to deter crime. It was in a great location, right on the corner of a busy intersection.

We're working away, doors open, stereo equipment scattered around the car, etc. when a police car stops at the red light. He's about 20 feet away from us, and turns around and looks right at us. We both look at each other and at the same time say "oh, crap we're going to jail". Worse yet, his dad was out of town. This was back in the 80's so the police couldn't just call his dad on his cell phone.

After about 30 seconds of sheer terror, the light turns green, and the cop just drives off. Peter turns around and says "phew, that was close", and then he thinks for a minute and says "wait, what the hell, this is my dad's business, and the police don't give a crap enough to at least stop and ask questions?" That's when we both learned just how stupid and lazy cops are.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon