Reply to post:

WikiLeaks boss Assange acted as a foreign spy, Uncle Sam exclaims in fresh rap sheet

Bernard M. Orwell
Stop

Despite the fact there here, in these very forums, so many people posted to the effect that Assange was NOT wanted by the US, without a doubt, and was a fantasist for going into hiding in the first place, was simply being paranoid or seeking to inflate his own ego or importance.

Then, of course, there were the posters who claimed that Assange/Wikileaks hadn't released any information of value, that is was all doctored/edited footage and they hadn't revealed any crimes or other dubious activities of the US at all; that the NSA spying was for our own good, that no US forces had killed any innocents or reporters.

I seem to recall a LOT of such posts.

Well, where are you now, critics? It turns out that the US most certainly, definitely and decidedly want Assange in their mucky paws. What for, I wonder? Maybe because he keeps revealing some measure of truth about their crimes?

Embarrasing the USA is not a crime. Assange is not a US citizen.

They just want to duck accountability and damage to their quickly fading reputation as a shining beacon of freedom and justice for all. This is damage limitation, petty revenge, and an attempt to silence independent media, nothing less.

Assange is still a prick, personally, but this is about something much larger and we should not be distracted by ad hominem arguments. I'd use a black helicopter icon, but its not a conspiracy theory when its actually happening right before our eyes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon