Reply to post: A little advice from an amateur beekeeper ...

Honey, hive had it with this drone: Couple lived for years with thousands of bees in bedroom wall

jake Silver badge

A little advice from an amateur beekeeper ...

It's spring here in the Northern Hemisphere. Honey bees are coming out of Winter maintenance mode (contrary to popular belief, honey bees don't hibernate). Some are swarming. You will likely see more bees than normal for a month or so. This is normal, it happens every year.

If you happen to find bees in an inappropriate place at home or work, DO NOT take matters into your own hands. Call a local beekeeper. Most will be quite happy to come and collect a queen and her colony free of charge. Getting a free colony that being wild/feral is fully adapted to local conditions is worth the work. If the first one you call won't do it for free, call another. Your local city/town offices can usually point you in the right direction. Failing that, call your local ag extension.

Likewise, if you have a swarm hanging in a tree in your backyard, call a beekeeper. The bees are just looking for a new home, and the keeper will be more than happy to provide them one. Some (myself included) will happily provide a hive to you at cost, so you can keep the bees for yourself. They will also be happy to talk to you about taking care of them once you have them. Some will take care of them for you, at the cost of a percentage of the honey/wax/pollen/popolis collected. Ask. Squeeky wheel & all that ... and I have never met a beekeeper who isn't happy to talk about beekeeping.

DO NOT use poison. Chances are you won't be able to kill off the hive, and you'll make the honey inedible, which is sad. Worse, if you DO manage to kill 'em off, the hive will rot in place ... and trust me, you don't want a rotting hive in your attic or wallspace.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon