Reply to post: Fart

You're on a Huawei to Hell, China tells US: We'll fight import tariffs, trade war to bitter end

Rich 2

Fart

I appreciate this may not be a popular opinion, but I sort-of agree with what Trump is doing here. Can I quickly point out that I DO NOT agree with him on anything else!

China has been taking the piss for decades. They DO steal technology from other countries (mostly European and the US), they DO have an atrocious human rights record, and maintain a prison-like country. China is very dangerous; they are trying very hard to lay claim to most of their part of the world, and they're generally not very nice.

We in the 'west' (I have to admit, I hate that term) have been pouring money into China for years. Just so we can have cheap shiny iThings mostly. It's been a brain-dead stupid policy on our part. And China has been busily using that money to construct an enormous military, bully its neighbours, and (oh, here we go again) generally not be very nice.

And all this exporting of work to China has caused our own manufacturing industry to fall somewhat flat.

Maybe I agree with Trump for different reasons to him. I'm not sure. And I'm sure what he's doing is certainly impacting the average person in the US. But if the end result is that it stimulates some home-grown manufacturing (and yes, of course, this takes years and years, but you have to start somewhere), and cuts off the huge money and technology transfer pipe to China then maybe it's what is needed to level things out a bit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019