Reply to post: Re: Uptime is not easy

Customers furious over days-long outage as A2 Hosting scores a D- in Windows uptime

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Uptime is not easy

Not just that.... your systems need to be 100% isolated from those you're managing AND those from each other AND from each other.

If you can't manage that, then for all I know, Joe Bloggs who rents a £2.99 VPS next door to my server is actually living in my server scot-free and wreaking whatever havoc with my data. Or your call-center agent is one-click away from knocking my server offline and losing my credit card details in the process.

Security is about isolation - VLANs, filtering, port-settings, firewalls, VPNs, administrative back-end networks, privilege separation, etc. etc.

If you fail at that in the design stage, it really doesn't matter what happens in the implementation stage, I wouldn't want to touch you.

And then you get to the backup scenario - why are you not able to rebuild every hypervisor machine back from an clean image with deployment tools, and then suck individual backups of the machines back, and restoration of the machines themselves is on a huge grandfather-father-son basis or - worst case - you restore an image and tell you clients to restore from their own backups.

Windows malware able to run riot through a datacenter unchecked enough to affect every customer is an indication of an amateur-hour setup.

I can't even fathom a reason how it would be able to spread from one machine to another, or why the backend control and administration systems would be using Windows at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon