Reply to post:

There's NordVPN odd about this, right? Infosec types concerned over strange app traffic

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"They've been inside Cisco for years so this was just the next step."

Are you still suggesting government mandated Lawful Intercept (aka CALEA in the US or EU C 329 in Europe) is somehow a Cisco exclusive issue, as though using other vendors avoids the issue?

I understand that you're paranoid, but paranoid and poorly informed tends to lead to mistakes...

Without specific inside knowledge of the VPN providers, I would assume they are subject to the same Lawful Intercept requirements as conventional ISP's/telco's. You're unlikely (my guess, not a legal opinion...) to get monitored for minor copyright violations, but end up on any watchlists or high profile crimes in your home country and a commercial VPN provider is unlikely to offer any anonymity.

Note: this assumes you are based in a country that has a lawful intercept policy (US/Canada/EU/Australia/NZ/Russia). For China and other countries known to closely monitor Internet traffic, I would expect similar actions. Outside of that, you would need to look into your own specific circumstances.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019