Reply to post: Biometrics do not protect

FYI: Yeah, the cops can force your finger onto a suspect's iPhone to see if it unlocks, says judge

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Biometrics do not protect

The problem with biometrics is that you cannot switch them off. You can't disable your fingers offering a print other than by painful damage, you can't stop an eye providing from giving a scan - you can always be forced to provide this, it even works when you've just been zapped by a taser (I'm just working ahead from the usual MO at a raid).

Passwords, however, do not. You must provide that willingly. You may be forced by circumstances, but it is 100% your decision. As long as you choose a decent one or the device auto-wipes after a number of times it will be impossible to recover.

I personally don't have much to hide or to protect - I know the data I care about can be accessed without my permission with any reasonable warrant. The problem is that I also have data from other people, and that data will be afforded the maximum protection I can give it. I don't care if that data has importance or not, what matters is that it is not MY data, and I thus do not have the right to share it. I know that that flies in the face of the WhatsApp and Facebook generation, but I'm old school.

That's why I have passwords on my platforms (and 2FA). No biometrics.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019