Reply to post: Accenture to the left of me. Wipro to the right, here I am. Stuck in the middle with Crapita

Accenture sued over website redesign so bad it Hertz: Car hire biz demands $32m+ for 'defective' cyber-revamp

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Accenture to the left of me. Wipro to the right, here I am. Stuck in the middle with Crapita

Once upon a time I got canned as a consultant (“Not a team player”) for pointing out that rewriting/customizing a vendor’s paycheck-printing engine months before go-live was a recipe for disaster. I was pretty damn senior on the tech being used and I could barely follow the vendor’s decades of accumulated logic and optimizations. Mostly because it was a monolith without any documentation or intent for customization.

The underpaid temps doing the rewrite barely knew the language. Their own people were dead keen on avoiding work. Which was good because they had only one guy who could code his way out of a wet paper bag and all he knew was COBOL

4 months before that pesky Jan 1 payroll switchover (no, Feb 1 won’t do at all on these) these clowns still hadn’t converted the source system’s tables to the new database after months of “ready next week”.

The (much larger) overall outsourcing contract was re-put out to tender 2 yrs later and Accenture was publicly asked not to respond to its RFP.

Here’s a bit of Wipro love, courtesy of their breach:

https://twitter.com/gcluley/status/1118203223528169474

Seriously, who’d be clueless enough to hire one of those big jackass-at-all-trades consultancies for their customer facing site?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon