Reply to post:

Canadian woman fined for not holding escalator handrail finally reaches the top after 10 years

Kiwi
Pirate

30 Odd years ago me mum and a few of her nearest shopping companions[1] wound up in the ER, with mum getting her skull, hip and shoulders x-rayed.

Why?

Because she was following the "safety suggestion", and holding the handrail when due to some mechanical error it came to a sudden and grinding halt. Mum and the others caught out took too long to realise what was going on and let go[2]. Not sure if everyone fell or one person started and took others out. As it was the up escalator they all fell backwards, some rolling further. I'd never paid attention to the buttons at the top or bottom of many escalators, take much more notice of them now. This was at Farmers Co-Op (or Farmers Trading[3]) Department Store, New Plymouth, IIRC '85 or '86.

On at least half a dozen times since then I've seen at least one rail stopped on an escalator or travelator.

Oh. No breakages that I recall, not that I cared for anyone else. Just pissed I had already been having to spend a day away from my favourite things, which was delayed since I couldn't even enjoy the delights of the 'big smoke' let alone what I would normally have been doing.

[1] IIRC none of them knew us, just people who were on the same machine at the same time.

[2] IE they didn't. (didn't let go)

[3] Farmers Co-Op is long closed. Farmers Trading is now just "Farmers". Both could exist in the same town and usually sell the same sort of stuff to a degree, however FC was closer to a 'big box' type place whilst FT focused more on clothing/fashion/smelly stuff. FC also had great agriculture stuff in there and some incredibly knowledgeable staff when it came to growing things. Gone but far from forgotten (at least from people who miss having real service and talent around!)

--> Icon coz closest we have to broken bones.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon