Reply to post: Re: another wrinkle

I've had it with these mother-fscking slaps on this mother-fscking plane: Flight fight sparks legal brouhaha over mid-air co-ords

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: another wrinkle

Nobody lives in that state

Presumably you mean neither of the parties involved lives in that state. I assure you, someone lives in that state. In fact, enough someones for them to have legal districts, which is what matters here.

What doesn't matter is the fact that the parties involved don't live there. The district where the crime is committed is the venue (in this case). Really, I don't understand why you think it might be otherwise. Courts don't exist for the convenience of defendants, victims, witnesses, or (in civil cases) plaintiffs; they exist to determine justice.

If you and the Mrs and youngin robbed that gas station during your cross-country trip, and were subsequently caught, what venue do you think you'd be tried in? Or if the other woman robbed it, and you witnessed it, where do you think you'd be called to appear?

I don't think it matters, assault is pretty much against the law across all 50 states?

Many things are against the law in all of the US states. That doesn't mean venue is irrelevant. States have many differences in how they deal with common crimes.

Murder is against the law in all 50 states, but there's a big difference between being convicted of it in Massachusetts and being convicted of it in Texas.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019