Reply to post:

Amazon boss snubs 'expensive', 'sub-optimal' relational databases. Here's looking at you, Larry

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"What on earth conversations do you have that you give one single toss about this?"

All of them, whether work or personal.

When I have conversations, I like to - no, I insist upon knowing who i'm talking with first.

My various employers would take a less than understanding view if I divulged any of their commercial confidences to an audience they hadn't previously authorised.

Without exception, on the very few occasions i've had to relieve one of those devices of its connection to a power source, once i've explained why, the subject (I was going to type 'user' but that'd be Amazon etc.) of the device has been fully understanding and supportive, occasionally they have commented that they'd wished they knew it was 'always on' before they had previous conversations with it around....

Just in the same way as I can still choose to not be monitored by one of these things in my own home or work environment, I can still choose to not be monitored by one of these things in any other private environment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon