Reply to post: Re: "less reliable delivery companies than Hermes"

Motion detectors: say hello, wave goodbye and… flushhhhhh

MonkeyCee

Re: "less reliable delivery companies than Hermes"

I've had friends who have been couriers over the years, and how they are managed determines exactly how bad/good they are for the customer.

When I was a postie, the courier was the person who ran out the 4-6 bags of post that you pick up on the way*, and thus drove along 80% of the delivery routes for the area, and wasn't under time pressure. Also was an employee. Good service.

The others were on contract, and in the usual way things work, some fool in manglement had set idiotic metrics, which resulted in idiotic ways of meeting them. Mostly it was easier to deliver the "I missed you cards" for non-business address and then only take parcels from the depot if someone called to arrange a time. Or leave parcels in semi-random locations.

* you sort your letters based on the order you deliver them, and you're only allowed to carry 25kg at a time, so your route is broken up with a secure and dry drop off point for the next lot. I had Karori to Northland so about as much vertical distance as horizontal, so only had 5 loads.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon