Reply to post: Re: Well if the US ships want the Chinese to keep out of the way

User secures floppies to a filing cabinet with a magnet, but at least they backed up daily... right?

PM from Hell
Facepalm

Re: Well if the US ships want the Chinese to keep out of the way

People really were that innocent back in the day. I was a trainee sysadmin when we started rolling out desktop systems so as it wasn't mainframe stuff it got thrown at me.

In the course of a single investigation I had a user send me the photocopy of a disk through the post. After a long phone call it was impossible to get her to make a copy of the disk so I asked her to send me the original, it arrived safe and sound with a compliments slip stapled to it.

We used to send out 3 boot disks with new dual floppy machines to reduce the time required before we had to visit to supply new ones. Whilst I never came across the magnet issue I've tracked down kettle, microwaves, and an electric stapler which all caused disk corruptions, desktop computers had virtually no power filtering back then and UPS's and external; power filters were unknown. Even now you can still visit offices where there are separate circuits for thew pc's with marked 'cleaner' and 'kettle' sockets. Remember also that this kit was completely unknown to tech staff. I didn't have a desktop pc Initially myself even though I was supporting about 200. I had a hard wired mainframe terminal like all the 'real IT' staff did

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon