Reply to post:

Only one Huawei? We pitted the P30 Pro against Samsung and Apple's best – and this is what we found

juice

> So what were your advantages of a smartphone camera again

Well...

1) It can GPS tag the photo in realtime

2) It can upload to storage or social media without the need to find a wifi hotspot

3) It can crop the photo

4) It can apply filters - from simple colour tweaks up to perspective transforms and whichever "snapchat" filters are currently hip with the youngsters today

5) It can display the photos at human-viewable size immediately after taking - a Canon EOS only has a 2.7" screen, versus the mighty 6" screen of my phone. And as an added bonus, the touchscreen controls make it incredibly easy to zoom in and flick between the photos

60 If you're feeling fancy, you can send your photos and videos to any nearby TVs via DNLA magic

To be fair, some DSLRs do have GPS, though this can take several seconds to get a good lock and can therefore be wildly inaccurate

Equally, some even support social-media uploads, or you can simply transfer the photos to your phone and then upload anywhere

But as far as I'm aware, they can't do any editing of the photo or apply any filters, and they're pretty poor when it comes to showing people the photos they contain.

So what were your advantages of a DSLR camera again? Sounds like I'll be carrying around a lot of weight - and having another set of batteries to charge - for less functionality than my phone offers. And I'd rather not carry a DSRL with me all the time, or take it into places where it could get damaged (e.g. nightclubs) - even assuming that I'd be allowed in with such a device [*].

Yes, yes, I know that the quality of the photos will be better. But for most people, smartphone photos are now Good Enough, in much the same way that MP3 proved to be good enough when compared to CDs and vinyl, and streaming video proved to be good enough against DVD and Blu-ray. Snark all you want about the quality; we'll be over here having fun and taking Good Enough photos to prove it...

[*] A number of festivals I go to bar people from bringing in "professional" recording devices, and I have seen people turned away from the gates as a result!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon