Reply to post: Re: One, OK, hundred, I have my doubts

Are you sure you've got a floppy disk stuck in the drive? Or is it 100 lodged in the chassis?

jacquesfrancis

Re: One, OK, hundred, I have my doubts

One of the secretaries called to tell me that her computer wasn't working. A nearly new Windows 3.11 Dell, it would have been. She was right. It wouldn't boot, with Windows complaining that scores of files were missing. 'Have you changed anything?' I asked. 'No' she replied, with the sort of frank and honest countenance that users adopt when they know they've fucked up massively and think they might be able to get away with it.

Looking more closely at the content of the disk, it appeared that most of the operating system had disappeared, which I remarked on. 'Oh, yeah, I had a bit of a tidy up,' she told me. The tidying had involved deleting as many files and directories she didn't recognise as possible, 'to make more space'. Which she didn't need. Wasn't 30Mb big enough for anybody, for God's sake? I reloaded Windows from twenty or so floppy disks. On the positive side, nobody could ever accuse her of inserting things in the wrong place, as in the lady in the main story.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019