Reply to post: Re: critical infrastructure done by engineers

Huawei savaged by Brit code review board over pisspoor dev practices

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: critical infrastructure done by engineers

Requiring other engineers to meet professionally determined educational, training and experience before being allowed to legally do engineering work was equally difficult to implement.

I suspect the lack of IT regulation is going to follow the well worn path other fields of engineering followed. Resistance to regulation until forced by multiple high profile and expensive failures.

As an average citizen I know nothing of Civil Engineering or bridge construction but when a bridge fails, particularly a new bridge failing on the first windy day, I become an expert on what bad engineering looks like.

People know nothing about software or networks but when they see ransomware shutting down major networks they become experts on what is an isn't acceptable.

Eventually citizens will not be willing to pay the price without having a say, without regulation.

Or myabe by that time citizens and their influence will be restricted to local or social matters and it wouldn't matter what they think. In that case it might be the insurance companies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019