Reply to post: Customer perspective

Cloudera's machine learning head honcho: Collaboration? Data scientists have heard of it

Outsider 2112

Customer perspective

Great article and I'm impressed with how open and honest you are. I almost never post anything but what you are saying struck me as genuine so here is my 2 cents.

Having been in the health insurance business for over 20 years, CEO of an and FDA level 3 CRO, a coder in 4 or 5 languages and intensely involved in business analytics in every job, I have a valuable perspective on some of your growing pains.

I also consult for companies that are implementing AI and big data projects in health tech and insurance process and analytics. At the end of the day, I am basically an interpreter. Coach, hard ass, pain in the ass and mediator. Between customer desires and requirements, the BusDev guy that sold the program, the execs at the IT firms and the coders and engineers it is a challenge to get everyone on the same page and even greater challenge to keep everyone moving in the same direction. It's like a cross between cats and 6 year old children some of the time. I like cats and children!

A traditional program manager can't do this job and in my experience, no one from any of the involved companies can manage this without playing favorites or being accused of playing favorites.

Look outside of your industry for the solutions and the for the people that can make it happen. None of these problems are unique and all of the solutions have already been invented so don't waste resources on reinventing them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon