Reply to post: Re: rwe live in a good time of software

What bugs me the most? World+dog just accepts crap software resilience

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: rwe live in a good time of software

But let's be honest. A lot of terrible software exists today, and we have a lot of contact with it. I don't deny that. But a lot of crap software existed ten years ago, twenty years ago, and thirty years ago. At least some of that isn't really the case now. I remember earlyish Linux distributions. They were pretty bad. The kernel was still pretty good, but it had a lot more panics and oops events. You had creaky desktops that would fail and require reconfiguration. Now, we have a more stable OS and a bunch of desktops that, while not being to everyone's taste, at least break a lot less. Ethernet connections required a proprietary driver that might not run and a lot of configuration on pretty much every OS. We may now have a problem once in a while with a WiFi driver, but we can be relatively sure that an ethernet connection will work for installing packages, and the WiFi driver is usually a one-time fix.

We've learned how not to break things at such a low level. Unfortunately, we moved up to a new level and a lot of things on that level are really broken. I'm not saying we should just accept that, but we should also temper our nostalgia with a healthy dose of pain. My suggestion: everyone run up a windows 95 virtual machine. Only give it eight megabytes of memory. Try to use it and nothing else for a day. Switch it out for a 2000 era Linux distro. Don't let it update. Try that one for a day as well. Assuming you didn't do anything too complex, run it for one more day, which it will probably survive. Then go back to whatever your normal system is and remember that every time you're angry at them, you at least don't have the things you saw with the VMs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019