Reply to post: Its not much different to what schools do now...

Children of Wales to be prepped for the vibrant world of work with free Office 365 ProPlus

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Its not much different to what schools do now...

I work for a bunch of schools and the cheapest way of licencing Office and windows is through volume licencing - indeed this is the only way to get Win10 Edu (which i do think is a pain when hardware comes prelicenced with Pro)

The standard OVS tiers, had the proplus entitlement included - licencing has changed over the past few months so I dont know which is which currently, this is all activated through the students O365 login so no selling keys on ebay!

so looks as though wales has managed to cut a deal and get better pricing than the individual schools would have managed so where is the harm in that... I know I will be downvoted for this, but MS Office has parts that just work better than LibreOffice or other FOSS products, other than deployment and customisation made easier than writing conf files by hand, there is a wealth of help, how tos and almost all example documents are written with office in mind. Publisher is a big pain when it comes to non microsoft products - again lots of premade lesson resource is produced using this, so the saving in software is ushed onto the shoulders of the already overworked staff to rewrite material for their class...

the licence allows proplus on any platform - ios, android, mac, PC, so I dont see how helping the kids is a bad thing! yes, in a perfect world it would all be free, but somethings it doesnt hurt to pay for... im sure you would rather have a job than be outsourced to a free version that was almost as useful as you are, but not quite!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon