Reply to post: Re: Car analogy, software emulation

Boeing big cheese repeats pledge of 737 Max software updates following fatal crashes

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Car analogy, software emulation

Using software to simulate the real world can work great but the last few I've used have done such a poor job of it I question my own memory of it being done right.

The last car such car I drove had drive by wire for throttle and steering and electric assist and control for brakes, even the parking brake was electric and only worked under very specific conditions. Engine rpm often had little relation to throttle position and I managed to have engine RPM decreasing while throttle position was increasing, and vice versa, Steering was completely insulated from the car and road. Thanks to poor tires as well as electric steering was unable to predict when lost of traction was about to occur even on asphalt. With many cheap cars today brakes will not allow threshold braking and there is often no easy way to turn off or adjust traction control or ABS.

On more than one occasion I have found myself fighting software for control of more than one vehicle.

Of course a friend has pointed out that their Panamera feels great and has none of those problems. Which shows software can be as good as, and even much better than, mechanical systems if enough time and money is spent. Then again I'm pretty sure his model had a problem with steering software.

Since I do not get to use those cars that get software right I'm left feeling like the some pilots of the 737's in question.

IMO Boeing should not use software to hide or enhance flying abilities but that isn't what the buyers want and like cars it's the average buyer who decide such things.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020