Reply to post: Re: Companies going too far.

Year 1 of GDPR: Over 200,000 cases reported, firms fined €56 meeelli... Oh, that's mostly Google

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: Companies going too far.

After speaking to them, GDPR was blamed for being unable to communicate price changes to me.

Just another case of companies not knowing what the rules are - there's a long history of that !

One example I recall from a couple of decades ago was when I put all my employers numbers on both the TPS and FPS in an attempt to cut down on the junk calls/faxes. Not long after, I was informed that we needed to remove one of the numbers from the FPS because a service they subscribed to (a weekly market intelligence report by fax) couldn't send them the fax as the number was on the FPS. I responded "quite bluntly" that the accuracy of anything coming from a company which had so little knowledge of the rules regarding the TPS and FPS was of "questionable accuracy". When the jist of my response was fed back to the service provider, I believe they modified their systems and the information faxes from them started coming in again.

Just like your example, the company had failed to grasp the difference between unsolicited marketing communications, and those happening as a result of a contract with them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon