Reply to post: Please like

Click here to see the New Zealand livestream mass-murder vid! This is the internet Facebook, YouTube, Twitter built!

Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Please like

Thank you for posting this Kieren.

After 25 or so years of televised mass slaughter in the US the media there is slowly coming to terms with the fact they are not simply reporting these stories, they are part of a feedback loop with the goal of performance violence. The "no platforming" approach of not focusing on the killer and not airing their views or even their name is their response, and I think it's excellent.

The rest of the world is likely to lag well behind the US in terms of slaughter, but hopefully we can learn one thing from their media experience. Everyone is aware Sky Australia are (apparently, still) broadcasting the murderers video - presumably that was his intention, so well done Sky Australia for lending a hand. But plenty of platforms that should know better have posted excerpts from his Manifesto including the "Notoriously Po-Faced" Guardian (to quote Ian Hislop, who knows po-faced when he sees it).

The murderer in question cited a UK-based mosque murderer and a Norwegian murderer as inspiration, so there's no doubt that this sort of fuckwittery has a global reach. I would very much like to see a global response by the media. I've seen the news in a lot of countries and I'm aware that's not going to fly everywhere, but the kind of country that tends not to show corpses on television should consider not airing the views of the people that make them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon