Reply to post: Re: Have you ever ended up being roped into doing more tech support than you’d bargained for?

All good, leave it with you...? Chap is roped into tech support role for clueless customer

big_D Silver badge

Re: Have you ever ended up being roped into doing more tech support than you’d bargained for?

My daughter has USB sticks, 1TB of cloud storage and had everything only locally on her MacBook Pro... Which she threw in her backpack along with her coffee flask.

You know where this is going, right?

The coffee flask was still full and she forgot to reseal it before putting it in her backpack.

By the time she got back to her flat, the screen hat a lovely Mandelbrot style pattern across it - only it wasn't on! The whole thing was dripping coffee. And she tried to turn it on...

By the time I got hold of it, the sugar had done its job on the circuits as well. Even the hard drive wasn't in a state to be rescued. She had to re-write the whole of her disertation using notes and a week old printout.

She learnt a bitter lesson and allowed me to install automatic backup software on her replacement machine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019