Reply to post: Re: If proof were needed

Boeing... Boeing... Gone: Canada, America finally ground 737 Max jets as they await anti-death-crash software patches

Archtech Silver badge

Re: If proof were needed

I am strongly reminded of something I read just recently.

"Evidently, a crucial case is omitted, which is far more depraved than massacring civilians intentionally. Namely, knowing that you are massacring them but not doing so intentionally because you don't regard them as worthy of concern. That is, you don't even care enough about them to intend to kill them. Thus when I walk down the street, if I stop to think about it I know I'll probably kill lots of ants, but I don't intend to kill them, because in my mind they do not even rise to the level where it matters. There are many such examples. To take one of the very minor ones, when Clinton bombed the al-Shifa pharmaceutical facility in Sudan, he and the other perpetrators surely knew that the bombing would kill civilians (tens of thousands, apparently). But Clinton and associates did not intend to kill them, because by the standards of Western liberal humanitarian racism, they are no more significant than ants. Same in the case of tens of millions of others".

[For fanatical Democrats who may object, substitute "Bush 1", "Bush 2" or "Trump" for "Clinton" and substitute some appropriate atrocity of theirs].

- Noam Chomsky, 'Samantha Power, Bush & Terrorism,' 31 July 2007 https://zcomm.org/zblogs/samantha-power-bush-and-terrorism-by-noam-chomsky/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019