Reply to post:

Boeing... Boeing... Gone: Canada, America finally ground 737 Max jets as they await anti-death-crash software patches

bazza Silver badge

No, I've not heard that before. But I'm certainly not an authority on it!.

However, one thing that came out of the BA38 777 miraculous crash landing at Heathrow was that the triple redundant software for part of the fuel system had been developed by just one company, to save a lot of money. They set up 3 teams, kept them separate. At the time it was irregular, but signed off as OK by the FAA and EASA.

However because this was the CAA's AAIB investigating the BA38 crash, they had the power to condemn it if they were dissatisfied and cause a global grounding. I think it was touch and go at one point in the investigation - the crash was due to a fuel issue after all - but eventually it was determined to be due to ice formation in an oil / fuel heat exchanger. This was readily resolved and the 777 carries on with it's reliable career with that software intact.

An event such as you've recalled illustrates very well the value of having on-the-ball pilots in a cockpit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon