Reply to post: I do want one...BUT...

China still doesn't want iPhones despite Apple slashing prices, say market watchers

andy 103

I do want one...BUT...

I've currently got an SE and to be honest it's more than good enough for my needs.

We've got to a point with hardware where it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify upgrades. The "cheapest" way to buy an XR (considered their "basic model" in the new line) is to buy it outright. There's 2 ways of doing this: spend £745 upfront, or use an offer currently on Apple's website where you can do 12 months interest free...which is £62/month. Oh yeah, that's just the phone. Now to use it I need a service plan. A basic £10/month SIM free and I'm now spending over £70 a month...on a phone. Compared to my paid off, perfectly usable SE, which only costs me £10/month for the airtime/data.

That doesn't even consider the more expensive XS models which can go up to, I believe, £1200? Or people who think they're getting a great deal because their contracts are £50/month, but are locked in for 24 months minimum.

It's really when you start to consider what else you can buy each month for the kind of money you're spending that you'll quickly decide your 2 year old phone is probably fine, and you can go and have life experiences that will bring you more joy using the spare change.

The price is a factor - but it's also the fact that existing technology is more than good enough for most people - lowering the incentive for them to bother.

All in my opinion, and I'm not in China.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon