Reply to post: Re: @codejunky

2 weeks till Brexit and Defra, at the very least, looks set to be caught with its IT pants down

codejunky Silver badge

Re: @codejunky

@Flocke Kroes

"The parties pick their leaders, not you or me"

And you vote for the party based on their manifesto. You vote for the leadership.

"That is equally true for the UK and the EU"

Except we dont. We vote for an MEP. The whole leadership structure deciding the direction of the EU is picked after that by the chosen few, not by the population. We have no say over the EU. And now in trying to leave, which is the populations result, we hit block after block against leaving.

"Your claim that we cannot pick our leader because of the EU is rubbish"

And factual. We do not get to vote for the direction of the EU.

"Yes all politicians. I want to minimise the power of every single one of them until they start to demonstrate a detectable level of competence."

I can understand that. But moving politics further from the population only removes the population from the decision making in politics. Its bad enough with Westminster.

"You have convinced me you have never provided evidence to support your opinions."

And that is your opinion. Off the top of my head I had a few remainers who actually thought the banana law was a lie and didnt exist! I absolutely linked to the law for them. I remember at one point linking to Mervyn King proving Mark Carney to be a lier. There was the problem of explaining to some people that WTO tariffs were maximums I believe I linked. So on.

"The UK government has tirelessly demonstrated incompetence for years before the referendum and you handed them a mandate to renegotiate the biggest trade deal ever anyway"

Yes. One of those incompetents being Blair who sold out this country to the EU quite happily. Hell we nearly had the Euro because of him! Can you imagine the position the country would be in right now with that plague? I am happy to accept our gov to be incompetent, because there is no good argument that an incompetent government above that will improve the situation. And the EU has tirelessly demonstrated incompetence placing it in multiple self inflicted crises.

"It sounds like you are expecting Brexit to be a complete fuck up and you are preparing to blame the government for the consequences of your voting decision."

I wont be surprised if they fuck it up. Actually right now I hope they fuck up because to them hard brexit is a fuckup. Being trapped in the EU is long term ongoing damage. This gov is either staffed by remainers (now they want to vote away no-deal ha!) or so incompetent they look like remainers. Yes I want them to fuck up, it will provide the best result even if they dont mean to. And being out allows us to vote for improvement while remaining guarantees we are tied to the EU.

"Lets try for some of the "destructive" things from the EU."

They are in multiple self inflicted crises. they are a global economic threat and were so even when China was being accused of being.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon