Reply to post: Re: Moving countries but no-one knew

Sure, we've got a problem but we don't really want to spend any money on the tech guy you're sending to fix it

Norman Nescio Silver badge

Re: Moving countries but no-one knew

caught a taxi back to KL (fell asleep again), showered at the hotel again, went to the pub, met a lovely young lady i spent the next 3 months romancing, and promptly went to bed.

Hmm, my dealings in KL were educational, with the local expats taking me on a tour of the more 'interesting' nightspots, and providing tips on how to spot the ladyboys. I was half-expecting your tale to have a surprising conclusion.

One of my (long) trips to KL was pretty much a wash out as the IT manager for Asia region did not understand the concept of network latency and why character-oriented applications developed on VAXes that assumed/relied upon remote-echo didn't work very well on long (international) network connections*. Unfortunately the fix was not simply turning on local-echo on the terminals. He simply could not or, perhaps, did not want to understand why the IBM 3270 block-oriented terminal based applications worked fine when the character-based terminals (with remote echo) didn't.

*It did not help that the aforesaid connections were 'capacity challenged'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon