Reply to post:

What happens when security devices are insecure? Choose the nuclear option

Rich 11 Silver badge

I did some volunteer work in my distant youth, more with the intent of putting something distinctive on my CV than on improving the lot of humanity. I once spent three weeks working nights driving an electric buggy around the warren of tunnels underneath a major hospital, towing carts full of all sorts of medical waste, disassembled beds, broken furniture going for repair, boxes of supplies and tons of laundry, etc, from one drop-off point to another. You could go the entire night and only ever meet three people.

Naturally I soon got bored and spent some time exploring the place. In one of the less-travelled tunnels I found myself up against a 10' square blast door, the entrance to the nuclear bunker where the local great and good had no doubt schemed and plotted to gain places in a refuge from which they could later emerge and rebuild civilisation in their image. Given the number of RAF bases in the environs, I did wonder if they'd stopped to think how likely it would be that their refuge would become their tomb, buried under ten floors of collapsed hospital.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019