Reply to post: Sort of the opposite, and not computer-related

Sure, we've got a problem but we don't really want to spend any money on the tech guy you're sending to fix it

Martin an gof Silver badge

Sort of the opposite, and not computer-related

Worked at a radio station that was collateral damage in a series of acquisitions*. I was very much a low-ranking worker at this place. Once got a Christmas Award as "Best Station Support (runner-up)".

It was a two-man department.

Anyway, in previous years we had done outside broadcasts from the local "Party in the Park" by obtaining a feed from the excellent Front of House engineers, using a little mixer to allow talking over by our own talent on-site - and operable by them - and sending the result over an analogue pair (or ISDN in later years) back to the studios.

New owner said "we don't do things that way" and insisted on clean feeds of all the on-stage gear, microphones etc. into their own stage-side desk which therefore required a decent engineer to operate (they parachuted one of those in too) and a lot of hassle setting up.

New owner said "you can't hire a desk locally, we have our own". But said desk was in Cowes (Isle of Wight) doing an OB for the sailing boats until the day before our PitP. So I got to drive a van from Cardiff to Portsmouth, stay overnight, catch the ferry to Cowes (first ever time I'd been there), help to dismantle and stow the OB kit and drive all the way back.

On the upside, local talent was able to use their high-powered radio microphone / headphone combo.

Also had to laugh because Peter Andre was one of the acts (does that date it?) and needed to use a piano on stage. They had to bring a piano in from London - the only one he was happy to work with because it was small enough for him to look over the top. IIRC he also insisted that the other on-stage performers (mostly miming as far as I remember) sat down to do their jobs so that they wouldn't be taller than him.

If I didn't think I'd get shouted at, I'd post a story about someone else I know who has a still unresolved dispute with "management" about travel costs, where in effect they are saying "we should not be travelling to the client, the client should be travelling to us". It isn't computer-related, but exactly the same "management really doesn't understand the job" symptoms I see in a lot of the comments here.

M.

*just because I'd be wondering if I were you - I was at Red Dragon & Touch Radio in Cardiff which was owned by EMAP, who wanted to buy another station, but doing so would put them over the allowed percentage (ownership rules were odd), so as their furthest outpost - all their other stations were in "the North" - Manchester, Preston, Leeds etc. - they sold us to Capital Radio. Capital promptly sacked all but three of the AM station's local presenters, syndicating instead, and turned it from the best-performing AM station in the country (in terms of hours, reach etc., even beating national FM stations locally) to among the worst. They also syndicated overnights on the FM station which does make it rather difficult to "nurture" new talent on the graveyard shift.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon