Reply to post: Re: It's interesting...

SPOILER alert, literally: Intel CPUs afflicted with simple data-spewing spec-exec vulnerability

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: It's interesting...

"ARM servers are very similar to Intel servers when both are running Linux. The overlap is 99%. The ARM are probably better at running lots of small services where as the Intel might handle heavy tasks better."

Do you have any examples of Linux servers running on ARM servers providing similar performance levels to Silver or higher level Xeon CPU's? The ARM servers I have used provide similar performance to a low spec VM on a heavily loaded Intel server, but I acknowledge it will be workload dependent. I also haven't tested the very large core count ARM servers.

The ARM server chips reported earlier this year (32-core 64-bit Armv8 CPU clocked up to 3.3GHz) are reported to be competitive with Xeon Gold in SPECINT - however previous ARM comparisons have shown that ARM is has always been strong in this area on a per core basis (i.e. nVidias ARM benchmarks), but drops back significantly once IO/memory bandwidth is included, resulting in a significant performance drop. When the ARM server chips are more widely available, I guess we will see if this test pattern continues.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon