Reply to post: Re: There used to be a way to report a listing

Another way to look at Amazon's counterfeit-busting Project Zero: Making merchants cough up protection money

Stevie

Re: There used to be a way to report a listing

And the way the hysterical Amazon community throw around the term "counterfeit" I for one am not surprised.

Your merch arrived in "hassle-free" packaging (because you didn't change the option when you bought)? "COUNTERFEIT!"

Your merch doesn't behave the exact way you thought it would (even though the rebus destructions tell you that the way it does behave is in fact correct)? "COUNTERFEIT!"

And let's not forget those who have nothing better to do all day than trawl through the more witless reviews so they can add a "COUNTERFEIT!" comment, even when it is plain that the reviewer is dumber than a bag of hammers and put the batteries in the wrong way round.

And that's before we get into those people who think they can buy a state-of-the-art electronic device at a fraction of what all the big names are asking for "the same thing", and not get a knock-off. "I bought a 5 terabyte USB 3 stick ($10 from Happy Dragon) and it caught fire when I plugged it into my laptop even though I followed the instructions exactly. I think I might have got a counterfeit."

The counterfeiting problem is real (encountered examples of it myself) and Azathoth knows that Amazon make reporting problems traceable to bad actors (or their own incompetent IT staff) damn near impossible. But I can understand why they aren't especially responsive to cries of "COUNTERFEIT!" from the masses any more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon