Reply to post: Re: What does Microsoft actually DO these days?

Band banned, Tarka arrives on Windows 10 and Visual Studio hits RC status

Hans 1
Windows

Re: What does Microsoft actually DO these days?

you may think that you own a nice Surface laptop today but it will be gone in a few years, replaced by the next "new" thing.

MS have a history of bricking old Surfaces using Windows Update, you know, a bit like Apple with their code to slow down old devices/deplete the battery in no time.

if (device.version < current.version - 2 )

{

calculatePI(10000000000);

}

else if (device.version == current.version - 1 )

{

calculatePI(10000000);

}

else

{

//noop; already has the latest shiny

}

MS is worse, they actually corrupt firmware when your surface is considered "too old" ... thinking: since YOU were dumb enough to buy MS hardware once, chances are high you will buy again, and the new model just got an all new price tag, up there in Apple fantasy land.

* Went to an Apple store yesterday, saw the price tag of a barely usable mac book pro, with a dual core i7 (ok, I call that an i3) and a price tag which exceeds the dumb level by at least $1500, as in, even if they knocked off $1500, the thing would be priced at the max limit an idiot would be willing to pay for it. I don't know who buys them, but their customers must be totally mad. Yes, I know, macOS, but still ... the OS is not worth $1000, come on! The base model came with a 128Gb SSD, it is 2019, and a computer manufacturer dares to list a 128Gb SSD model computer with an i3 CPU and 8Gb non-replaceable RAM above $350? Non-replaceable is already a brains filter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon