Reply to post: Re: Interestingly,

WWW = Woeful, er, winternet wendering? CERN browser rebuilt after 30 years barely recognizes modern web

Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Interestingly,

Okay, here's why you're wrong. I remember the GUIs of 1987, it does not look out of the ordinary or special in any way.

It's difficult to tell the difference between the Next's GUI that we saw here and what was on UNIX, same menus, practically the same window decorations. Rending a text document in a window with clickable words and a context menu is nothing amazing. The Next's GUI might have been better at inter-process communication and drag and drop than UNIX but here we're just looking at the browser.

Other late 80s hardware aimed at the home or smaller business did eventually get browser software in the mid 90s when the Internet became more mainstream and again the browser software used the GUI toolkit available on those systems.

We will have to agree to disagree because I believe there is no shiny (and I did use image search and YouTube just to check and refresh my memory on what was available on UNIX, Mac, ST, Amiga, and even Archimedes) and you believe there is shiny.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon