Reply to post:

Amazon triples profit to $11.2bn, pays ZERO DOLLARS in corp tax – instead we pay it $129m

sanmigueelbeer

Major tax accounting firms make money finding and exploiting tax loopholes in every country. This is what they're paid for by large multinationals who don't want to pay the right amount of taxes. And these loopholes takes YEARS (even decades) to fix.

And once a loophole gets fixed, the accountants find another means to exploit somewhere else.

The solutions are fix the loopholes QUICKLY in months instead of years/decades & make sure there is cooperation from all countries.

One final thing: No more tax exemptions, tax "credits" or "special tax agreements".

SIDENOTE:

Back in 2014, I was in Paris for holidays and me wife and I decided to take a guided tour which included pickup from our hotel. Anyone on our way back the tour guide cum driver asked what is going to be the biggest problem with the world. I responded with "big multinational corporation REFUSING to pay taxes". The tour guide turned around and gave me the what-crack-are-you-smoking look.

Anyway, fast forward to 2018 and I'm reading ElReg's coverage of French citizens protesting about Apple's tax avoidance activities in the EU. Wierd, eh?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon