Reply to post: I.B.M. continues to fail it's customers and it's staff.

IBM: About those agreed voluntary redundancies ... we were just kidding

I.B.Me

I.B.M. continues to fail it's customers and it's staff.

From the first day I joined IBM, over 15 years ago, the shedding of staff has been a regular past time. They acquire a company, tupe people, and then shed the people that have shown them loyalty over the years. They started to off shore jobs to India, Poland and a variety of cheap workforces, where some had never seen a computer before walking into an IBM building. UK people were expected to train the very people that would replace them. UK companies were initially not given any say as to whether the staff that they were paying big bucks for were in the UK or elsewhere. Even when the customer complained, is was worded as such that IBM couldn't provide the service in the UK, with out a significant price hike. Meanwhile anyone in the UK was expected to absorb job after job, leading to stress, depression and breakdowns. This naturally lead to people fearing for their jobs, as weak 'resource' in the next round of job cuts. Customers started to realise that they were paying over inflated prices for someone in a far off country, and decided they could cut out IBM and get the same service for a lot cheaper. IBM maintained its prices and lost large numbers of customers from it's service side. This was all driven by the increasing demands to increase profit and hit the $200 a share target. This may explain why those people that have been loyal to IBM are being offered the UK legal minimum redundancy pay, regardless of them stepping forward for EOI. At the moment IBM is the sinking ship and It's 'resources' are the rats wondering whether to jump and swim, or wait for the day when that carving knife visits them. You can not fight your redundancy, with out it costing you more than your redundancy pay, I looked into it. My advice to anyone still in IBM is jump ship when you can. Life outside is better, yes some employees do care. Heck even if you reinvent yourself and learn new skills (which IBM wouldn't allow you to, without you adding 4 hours to your 12 to 16 hour day), it's worth it. You're intelligent, IBM made you a job offer, go do it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon