Reply to post: Re: No jack, Jack.

Samsung Galaxy's flagship leaks ... don't matter much. Here's why

Nate Amsden

Re: No jack, Jack.

Curious can you quantify "forever" ? I have a Note 4 though I don't use it too much it is more of a backup of a backup. My daily drivers are Note 3s (my first Android phone). One has Android 4.4(my main) and the other has 5.0 (I prefer 4.4). Anyway performance wise it seems fine. Literally on day one of having the Note 3 I installed Nova launcher and it has been my launcher of choice on all android devices since(am not sure how much if at all that may influence the performance of the device).

I don't use many apps, no social media, no banking, mainly built in email, SMS, firefox(with ad blockers - mobile is the only place where I use actual ad blockers), the built in gallery app, google maps(I use an older version the newer ones have too much crap in them). I do have about 60 apps installed though overall usage of them is much less frequent/consistent.

Apps I am less sure of privacy/security wise (that I otherwise want to try or use) go on the 2nd Note 3 or sometimes the Note 4 neither of which have any personal info on them. The wifi in my home is strictly DMZ I guess you could say, I have some ports open on the firewall for my IP cameras to be reached by the phones but otherwise the phones have no need to access internal network so they don't have access.

I have been interested in a new phone just because well this one probably won't last forever. Though it's hard to decide what compromises to make since all new phones would be some form of serious compromise for me (over Note 3), the only exceptions I think would be camera, CPU performance, and memory (the only areas I care about upgrade wise).

Everything else - having a removable battery(I change mine once a year to keep it fresh), IR blaster, MHL, flat screen, headphone jack, reasonable bezels, wireless charging and having something reliable (at 6 years this Note 3 is by far the longest I have had a single phone as my daily driver - and I've never needed to repair it. Though the gyroscope has been failing for the past year or two, doesn't matter much).

At this point I don't care if it's $1200 bucks if it can last 6 years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon