Reply to post:

Fun fact: GPS uses 10 bits to store the week. That means it runs out... oh heck – April 6, 2019

JimboSmith Silver badge

As a baby engineer, I once got stuck on the Coventry ring-road after visiting Marconi. Every turn I took eventually brought me back onto the bloody ring-road. I began to seriously suspect I may die there, endless circling 'picturesque' Coventry...

Driving to the football in Coventry with a mate one Saturday we had satnav problems. I knew the route having done it before many times and was directing him. He insisted on keeping the satnav on and was concerned when it kept saying 'recalculating' as we drove on. He stopped when we started getting turn around commands. He looked at the screen and could see according to it we had left the road a few tens of meters ago. We were actually driving through what had been the old Peugeot factory (now a new development) and his shiny new car had outdated info. He didn't like the idea we'd gone off the 'map' and was going to turn round before I persuaded him to go on. As soon as we reached what the thing referred to as road it stopped whining. I said he'd follow the bloody thing into the sea if it told him to. I was only half joking.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019