Reply to post: Re: I'm perfectly fine with minimal text and no images

Lovely website you got there. Would be a shame if we, er, someone were to sink it: Google warns EU link tax will magnify media monetary misery

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: I'm perfectly fine with minimal text and no images

You can use it fine with no images, sure, but minimal text? Usually, the main thing that helps me to decide whether the search worked is to read the summary text where my terms appeared. I can filter whether results are useful or just happen to mention my search term much more effectively with that than I can with the page title. I can also use that to identify pages that I've already effectively read, if the term was quoted in multiple places.

I also think it should not be possible to charge for linking to a page. That is antithetical to much of the web, and should remain so. I'm directing traffic to someone. If they want to make money on that, they should view me as a positive, whether I'm making money myself or simply thought they were a useful resource. I shouldn't have to pay for the privilege of telling someone they might find something else useful. I don't pay the newspapers if I suggest that someone goes and gets one to read a great article.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019