Reply to post: Actually I can only see a cosmetic change

Congrats, Satya Nadella. In just five years, you've turned Microsoft from Neutral Evil to, er, merely True Neutral

devTrail

Actually I can only see a cosmetic change

As far as I can see Nadella simply chose to sail in safe waters. He axed all the consumer products because understood that Microsoft is not very much appreciated by the consumers, they buy Windows desktops just because they can't find anything else around. Then he concentrated the efforts in the enterprise sector where they can put some pressure with the help of their monopoly. Where they didn't have a monopoly as in the cloud sector they thrived by price dumping.

As for the acquisitions I won't comment on Minecraft since I know nothing about it, but LinkedId doesn't seem to be so successful, it turned into a job search platform like were Monster or Indeed, people who are not looking for a job no longer log in, profiles are outdated and forums submerged by marketing spam have been abandoned. Github is too early to say, but developers are not really happy about it.

So Microsoft is still going on in the same way, living off the earnings in the sectors where they have a monopoly. What changed between Ballmer and Nadella is just the image in the media, they designed around the two persons two completely different characters.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019