Reply to post: Re: a second *binding* referendum and cancel the madness that is Brexit.

Thanks for all those data-flow warnings, UK.gov. Now let's talk about your own Brexit prep. Yep, just as we thought

Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: a second *binding* referendum and cancel the madness that is Brexit.

How is it democratic to keep us in an institution we are obviously against being a part of?

I clearly live in a universe where the word 'obviously' has a different meaning to yours.

So void the original 70's vote some remainers keep referencing as the EU and so we leave.

I assume you are referencing the 1975 advisory referendum where people voted to remain. Void that all you like; the result of that was to take no action, so instead... take no action?

We also have 2 general elections, 1 to have a referendum to change our relationship with the EU because we aint happy (else why change?) and 1 to confirm we want to leave the EU.

Well lets see, the Conservative manifesto in the 2015 election contained quite a lot more than 'we will hold a referendum', so to any sensible observer, the people 'obviously' didn't vote just on that one issue. May's 2016 election resulted in... a hung parliament and no mandate for the thing she went into the election to get, so effectively the opposite to the result you claim (the only 'leave' party lost its majority, even against someone as 'unelectable' as Corbyn). Lets not forget all the manifesto promises she made but has conveniently broken since either. I count seven, so far... https://govtracker.co.uk/

The only major party offering remain was almost wiped out.

...and not because hey were offering remain, but because of the disastrous coalition government with the Tories, which proved that they were not to be trusted.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon