Reply to post: Re: Pigeons - Aaaaaarrrghh!!!!

Ca-caw-caw: Pigeon poops on tot's face as tempers fray at siege of Lincoln flats

Eddy Ito

Re: Pigeons - Aaaaaarrrghh!!!!

You never see a baby pigeon, they must come out of their eggs fully grown and ready to eat anything.

Having had mourning doves nest in one of the wife's planters on a long weekend while we were away, I assume they develop similarly, perhaps it may provide a reason why you never see a baby pigeon. As best I could tell with the doves is that they went from eggs one day to totally fledged and gone inside of two weeks. I tried to get snaps every day and from the last picture of an egg I caught to when they were largely fully developed and nowhere to be seen was 13 days. I can't say for certain which day they hatched but it was clear they had hatched 10 days before they left which gives a 3 day window and I'd wager the exact time depends on things like food availability. In short, about a week to week and a half to bulk up and another 2-3 days for the flight feathers to completely grow in and they are nearly indistinguishable from their parents.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon