Reply to post:

The D in SystemD stands for Danger, Will Robinson! Defanged exploit code for security holes now out in the wild

ElReg!comments!Pierre

By the way, if you do need to patch, you can find the perfect patch at freebsd.org

While I kinda* agree with the general sentiment, the reason why systemd became an issue at all is that it is backed by RedHat, the most trusted *NIX distro in the Big Biz world (unlikely to change since they were just gobbled by the most trusted Big Iron company in the Big Biz world...). That gives systemd considerable traction. I do currently work for Big Biz. Big Biz doesn't care for reliablity, stability or elegance terribly much, these are just bonusses. Big Biz cares for support contracts, monetary penalties, and above all, for "case open with the supplier so it's not our problem anymore" clauses.

Something is rotten in the State of IT. Goodpractices, I knew thee well, etc. But again, I'm old enough to remember that it's always been the case. Same general mindset, same errors, different offenders. The only difference is that some of us here were hoping for an improvement when Linux hit the limelight, and that's only a generation thing. Hope is a renewable resource, disappointment is a constant ;-)

Resistance is NOT futile though. The most efficient way of resistance IMHO is Devuan at this time, not *BSD, because of the trust built around Linux by now-traitors RHEL and Debian (to cite only 2). The path of least resistance is often the fastest. Not that I don't believe in unicorns, mind : I am myself eagerly waiting for -and occasionnally minutely contributing to- the Raise of the Mighty GNU HURD Complete With Its Own MACH Microkernel. Not holding my breath though (renewable resources, constants, etc).

*For personnal -and rather shallow- reasons I prefer dabbling with DragonFlyBSD myself, but that's besides the point

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon