Reply to post: Re: I said that!

Jammy dodgers: Boffin warns of auto autos congesting cities to avoid parking fees

Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: I said that!

Original story

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/17/selfdriving_cars_will_be_safe_were_testing_them_in_a_massive_ai_sim/

My posting.

Rental AI cars: After a few weeks of use will turn up stinking of old takeaways, filled with detritus and having suspect damp patches on the seats because unlike a taxi theres nobody stopping it from happening or cleaning it afterwards.

Having your own AI car: It disappearing off to find a parking space will only work if the car parks are cheaper than just orbiting the area. Orbiting will quickly increase traffic levels to gridlock point in any city.

Maintenance of AI cars: How will they take themselves off for repair after a water filled pothole has rearranged the front suspension while it was looking for a parking space.

This is a completely new transport paradigm, it just happens to have a superficial resemblance to the existing systems. Fitting it into our cities will take decades and a large body count just like adding rail and cars did.

But we all know that planning won't happen until it's too late to fix properly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon