Reply to post: Re: Again I have to ask...

You got a smart speaker but you're worried about privacy. First off, why'd you buy one? Secondly, check out Project Alias

A. Coatsworth Silver badge
Windows

Re: Again I have to ask...

Nothing is 100% useless (even Facebook as valid use cases, I guess...) and I can see how Alexa can simplify the life of elderly or disabled people.

That said, the paranoia comes from not knowing really what goes inside Amazon or the other providers.

I could say about my own life that I have nothing to hide and therefore nothing to fear. But even so, is it healthy for a society to willingly give so much power (through information) to these companies? Most people don't trust their governments (be it in the US, Europe, Latin America...) and rightly so, but they do trust these private companies that are currently worth more than many countries without knowing what ulterior motives (if any) their heads have. How is that sane? Facebook has already shown how it can negatively impact the real world thanks to its shocking lack of ethics, but people seems not to care...

I simply think these companies have already too much power over the people, and instead of protesting it, the public is happily giving them even more power through these devices.

/tinfoil rant over

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon