Reply to post:

Worried about Brexit food shortages? North Korean haute couture has just the thing

Peter2 Silver badge

The US cavalry are here to save us: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47036119

lAll we have to do is accept hormone & antibiotic-laden meat & glyphosate etc in agricultural produce. Bleached chicken isn't specifcally mentioned but that's probably in there as well.

Meh, fine with me. Just mandate that any food gets a big sticker stuck on it with the food standards applied to it, and who certifies those standards are being met.

So one sticker for:-

"Organic" standard, EU Food Standard or US Standard

And one sticker for "Self certified to meet that standard, honest!" and another for "3rd party certified to meet that standard & batches randomly checked."

Then people can make a choice on what they buy. Then if you want to buy food self certified to EU standards, which lest we forget in recent memory has included gloriously non compliant beef horse meat burgers, hepatitis ridden sausages and Fipronil in eggs, along with eggs containing nicarbazin, lasalocid and dimetridazole then people can do.

I'd note that EU food standards have caused actual demonstrable harm (the hepatitis issue was discovered by the NHS frantically trying to track down a major public health disaster as an infectious disease spread like wildfire) whereas US food that we do currently import has yet to cause these sort of problems, and no comparable scandals seem to regularly reoccur in the USA. (unless anybody can correct me on this)

My opinion? I'd buy things certified by a third party to be to EU standards, and consider higher quality US stuff. Personally I wouldn't buy self certified EU products, or the cheaper end US stuff until i've done a good amount of research into what goes into them and I doubt that huge numbers of people would do either, but frankly i'd just let people do as they want to. I'm not convinced that the outcomes of food certified to US standards are worse than the outcomes from food (self) certified to be meeting EU standards.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon