Reply to post: Re: Typical el Reg @sprograms

The Apple Mac is 35 years old. Behold the beige box of the future

Peter Gathercole Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Typical el Reg @sprograms

Hmm. System 3. Not sure that AT&T actually has a certification program for that, and even if it did, System 3 (or SIII as it is often written) was a long time before OS X.

I don't dispute that OS X has obtained UNIX branding, but I think it started at UNIX 98.

Ah. Now I see. You are referring to UNIX 03. This is *NOT* UNIX System 3, which was the predecessor of System V, and was available on AT&T hardware (things like the 3B20) from about 1982.

I actually really dislike the fact that the latest UNIX branding is called UNIX Version 7. To me, that is the Bell Labs. PDP11 release from 1979, also known as UNIX Seventh Edition. it is of passing interest that on the tuhs archive, it's under a branch entitled V7, but as I review the documentation, it is almost universally called UNIX Seventh Edition. I always referred to it as Version 7, though, as did everyone around me at the time. But I also note that the official Digital port of Unix Edition 7 was called V7M or V7M/11. So I don't feel too out on a limb.

Pedantic Grammar alert, natch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon