Reply to post: Re: Linux is moving on the desktop.

Open sourcerers drop sick Fedora Remix to get Windows Subsystem for Linux pumping

keithpeter Silver badge
Pint

Re: Linux is moving on the desktop.

"So it's like Google Docs then?"

"Yes, let me introduce you to offline apps."

"What are those?"

@Jedipadawan

Thank you for an interesting view on the IT situation in a large and important country that we in the cold North don't always hear a lot about.

I work in education in the UK. I was wondering about how students in Indonesia keep track of their 'stuff' as they move through the educational system. Do they have a unique ID that their goog account is tied to so when they change school/college their things just follow them? Or do they have to basically start over? Or do they use a personal account? If personal account, famously the goog algos could just can it if some kind of activity triggers an action.

The UK govt is part way through rolling out a unique learner number [1] for every student above 13 years old (and eventually over 11 years old I think). At present, this is used just to allow colleges and universities access to qualification history but it strikes me that in the future, it could act as an ID for online storage.

Then no more stressed students and days spent with recovery software :-)

Icon: meant as token of gratitude, not necessarily endorsement of alcohol use.

[1] https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-and-resources/adviser-news/news/unique-learner-number-uln

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon