Reply to post: Re: Well?

Fake broadband ISP support scammers accidentally cough up IP address to Deadpool in card phish gone wrong

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Well?

Sadly had my credit card details stolen a while back, bank caught it, blocked card, sent new one, all right with the world.

About a week later I received a call from the Natwest fraud support team. This was interesting, as my bank is not Natwest. I inquired whether they could give me a reference so I could call back, line went dead. The same happened again a couple of days after that, this time I ummed and ahhed a little and got to the point where they read out a list of fictional transactions for me to confirm (or presumably not, since they were fictitious, and presumably leading into, "I'll just need you to confirm some security details"), at which point I called their bluff again. Clearly some kind of follow up phishing on the basis that if you've been got once then maybe you're a soft touch.

So... these people have some of my details, and some connection with the original criminals, and are clearly doing this on a regular basis, with some degree of success or they wouldn't bother. Is there any way to report this? No, apparently no crime has taken place so the fraud office aren't interested. And we wonder why it continues to happen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon